Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Alan Keyes throws his hat into the ring.

Alan Keyes has announced that he will become the latest Illinois GOP contender for the Senate to get his ass kicked by Barack Obama. But you know what? More power to him. I'm actually glad that Obama doesn't have to run unopposed, and I imagine the debates will be pretty interesting.

Having said that, I have to question what, exactly, in hell the Illinois GOP leaders hope to accomplish. This cannot possibly have been well thought-out. ("Gentlemen, Barack Obama has totally humiliated us at every turn. He is intelligent, charismatic, well-spoken, and enormously popular. Therefore, we must run an opponent so extreme in contrast that everyone in the nation will assume that we're totally out of touch with any semblance of political reality." "An excellent idea!")

Actually, though I can't say very much in defense of his stances, I will say this: Keyes' uncompromising view of federalism is refreshing, and proves him to be a bold, decisive leader who stands by his beliefs. For example, four years ago, when so many others kept silent, Alan Keyes stood up and publically denounced Hillary Clinton, in the name of that principle he holds so dear:

"I deeply resent the destruction of federalism represented by Hillary Clinton's willingness go into a state she doesn't even live in and pretend to represent people there, so I certainly wouldn't imitate it."


Of course not! That's right. Damn right.

(Thanks to the Bush-lickers at Lickin' Bush in '04 for bringing this to my attention.)


<< Home
|